Tuesday, April 22, 2008

YA HEARD? - New NAS track (parental advisory)

Well a cut from Nas forthcoming project, N****R, just leaked and it is causing quite a controversy. Some of lyrics include :

"To all my 'kike' niggers, 'spic' niggers, 'guinea' niggers, 'chink' niggers/ That's right, y'all my niggers, too."

He also mentions Eminem:
"Not mad 'cause Eminem said 'nigger, 'cause he's my nigger, wigger, cracker friend/ We all black within/ We all African/ Some Africans don't like us, no way/ A killing happened in Johannesburg yesterday."

Could u imagine what a radio version would sound like? Half of the song would be bleeped out. Nas is definitely bringing the heat on this track. Whether you agree or not, I think it actually elaborates on what he meant when he said at the grammys that everybody is a nigger.

Personally these are some of my thoughts when I first heard it - I immediately got a kick out of the hook which uses the theme from the old Dr Pepper commercials, "I'm a pepper, he's a pepper, she's a pepper, we're a pepper wouldn't you like to be a pepper too" I thought the hook was brilliant. The commercial implies that simply drinking Dr Pepper would bring all of us of different backgrounds together in one big happy family. How naive, don't you think? It made me think of Nas' song as a scathing commentary on the commericalization of what it is to be a "nigger". How it is sooo cool and profitable now in pop culture, especially in Hip Hop, to act what people think a nigger is (which of course usually means perpetuating a stereotype) Just rap, dance, wear big clothing and you could be a nigger too and we can all live happily ever after in this (hip hop) world! lmao! Could the song be an ironic celebration of black face and a simultanous attempt to dismantle its impact? If so, is it effective in doing both? This joint will definitely offend and spark conversation. Take a listen and tell me what you think.... (parental advisory)

Nas - Be a N****R too

"Be A Nigger Too" co-produced by Salaam Remi and Big Jack, is not the official first single. It's a street leak. The album has no set release date yet.

I must also admit that after first hearing the song, I also thought about Busta and other rappers who have to perpetrate being the most realist "nigga" (= the best black male stereotype) in order to be commercially appealing. Akon's recent bust on his fake criminal record is the next example of what it takes to "be a nigger too". What would you like to be?

Flava reppin the global Hip Hop movement!

No comments: